“Tea party-backed Representatives Michele Bachmann (R-MN), Louie Gohmert (R-TX) and Steve King (R-IA) on Saturday held a press conference in Egypt to thank the country’s military for overthrowing the elected government, and at one point even seemed to suggest that the Muslim Brotherhood had been behind the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks in the United States…”.* The Young Turks host Cenk Uygur breaks it down.
Posts Tagged ‘United States’
Tags: Cenk Uygur, Egypt, Libya, Louie Gohmert, Michele Bachmann, Middle East, Muslim Brotherhood, Politics, sept 11 2001, Steve King, tea party, United States, Young Turks
Tags: African American, American Legislative Exchange Council, Barack Obama, Mitch McConnell, National Rifle Association, Republican, Supreme Court of the United States, United States
by Earlene Williams Hancock – Guest columnist
Someone asked me late last night why he, as an African American, should consider voting… This question was beyond disturbing to me, but let me try to answer it:
1. Voting Rights Act. The Supreme Court recently struck down Section 4 of the Act…which will allow Republican-controlled states to make it harder for minorities to vote. In 2012, as a voting bloc, African Americans exceeded whites in turning out to vote for the first time in history ~ because they were furious that their voting rights were in jeopardy. Many stood in line for 7-8 hours in order to cast their ballots… Many died fighting for our right to vote ~ their sacrifice cannot be in vain!
2. Stand Your Ground. Trayvon Martin might well be alive today, if certain groups like A.L.E.C. (American Legislative Exchange Council) weren’t writing laws for GOP-controlled state legislatures. This law has been adopted by up to 30 states, to-date. We owe it to our young Black men and women to overturn this “license-to-kill” law ~ we can only do that by voting these racist rednecks out of office.
3. Minimum Wage. Who can live on $7.25 an hour? The Republicans would like to get rid of it altogether. If you don’t vote, you’re sending a message that you’re okay with that.
4. Jobs. The unemployment rate for African Americans is in the double-digits ~ not the national rate of 7.4%. Congress…especially the House of Representatives is full of Teabaggers who want to keep paying minorities slave wages. They also have not passed one Jobs Bill! ~ not even Infrastructure to repair roads and bridges that even they have to drive over. Why? Because Barack Obama proposed it.
5. Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and Obamacare. Republicans want to do away with these programs. If you don’t vote them out of office, please explain to me how millions of people, not just minorities, are expected to survive? What Republicans would love to see happen is that we “die quicker”…..
6. Housing. The Housing Crisis disproportionately hurt minority communities. The financial sector, including Predatory Lenders deliberately targeted minorities…yet, I’m not aware any have gone to prison. The “American Dream” of homeownership has been turned into a nightmare. What’s happening now is that investors are buying up foreclosed properties at an unprecedented rate and turning them into rentals. Who do you think will be turned into ‘permanent’ renters? Minorities.
7. Criminal Justice. You already know the system is unjust. You already know that Blacks and Hispanics are disproportionately targeted, jailed, and with far harsher sentences than their white counterparts. The prison system has been, to a large degree, privatized…they profit by the number of people they imprison. If you don’t vote for the Party that will try to change ‘the system’, do you expect it to “self-correct”?
8. War on Women. I’m not a proponent for abortions, but it is not some politician’s right to prevent a woman from making her own decision what to do with her body. The Republicans, throughout this country, are systematically shutting down abortion clinics ~ these clinics, like Planned Parenthood also offer pre-natal care, and general services for women who may not be able to afford a private physician. Who do you think will be disproportionately affected by this? The poor…
And ask yourselves…if Republicans, aka the “Christian Right” are so very concerned about banning abortions…even in the case of rape!…then why aren’t they willing to adopt these babies once they’re born? Why are they taking food out of these babies’ mouths…when they ‘pretend’ life is sacred? Is the life of a 4-year old less sacred than a fetus?
9. The Supreme Court. Again, controlled by Republican judges, who clearly have a racial bias. Google Justices Scalia, Alito, Roberts, Thomas, and Kennedy. They voted to allow corporations to infuse millions of dollars into elections. Who do you think they’re ‘buying off’ to protect their interests? It’s true there are Democratic politicans who are ‘on the take’, but far more Republicans, imo. There also may be one or two vacancies on the court the next two years. The President nominates judges to the court…then it’s sent to the Senate to confirm. Does it not make sense to increase our majority in the Senate to 60 so that these judges, who are more likely to rule in favor of programs that will help all Americans, including minorities, can be quickly confirmed…along with all the other bills that are currently at a standstill? That only happens if you vote.
10. Gun Control. If you’re okay with the slaughter of innocent victims, especially children, throughout this country…not just in Connecticut or Chicago, but everywhere…then don’t vote. The Senate passed a gun control bill which was ‘shot down’ by the Republicans in the House. Why? Because of the National Rifle Association (NRA) buying them off. The NRA claims they’re standing up for their 2nd Amendment Rights. The truth is it’s gun manufacturers who don’t want this legislation passed – they’re in it for the money…period! The more guns they can sell, the richer they become. Whether innocent people continue to be killed is of no consequence to them. If they continue to have the blood of those victims on their hands, they couldn’t care less. Are you okay with that?
11. Racism. It’s on the rise and becoming more and more prevalent and blatant. Electing the first Black President in 2008 was historic; re-electing him in 2012 was even more of a shock to their system. Are you aware that on the night of President Obama’s first inauguration, the Republicans held a secret meeting to come up with an agenda to shut down every single thing he proposed? Their goal, as stated by Mitch McConnell (GOP Senator from Kentucky)…was to make him a one-term President. Even though we gave him a second term last November, they’ve done everything possible to block his entire agenda.
This is why there’s unprecedented gridlock in Washington. Nothing is getting done, because of their hatred of this President. Every racial slur, every death threat he’s received, by extension, is targeted at the entire Black community. Isn’t that reason enough for you to vote?
►►►In 2010, during midterm elections, many of us stayed home. We thought our work was done in 2008. But…by not voting in 2010, it allowed an influx of ignorant, racist Governors, state legislators, Congressmen, and Senators to be voted into office.
I could go on and talk about war and climate change, etc., but I think any of the 11 reasons cited above are more than sufficient reason to exercise your right to vote. Putting all 11 together makes it imperative that sitting out next year’s election is to give permission for continued oppression of the Black and Hispanic communities. I’m not okay with that…I hope and pray you aren’t either…
We have some Democratic politicians who need to be thrown out of office, too…but not now! Our goal now is to vote in and re-elect Democrats throughout this country…for EVERY political office possible. Democrats are far more likely to promote programs that will be beneficial to minorities ~ and we’ve got to undue the damage the GOP has done over the next two years…and for possibly decades to come.
It’s critically important that everyone gets out to VOTE!!!….not just in Presidential elections ~ but every 2 years…for local, county, state, and Federal elections!!! We have to be committed to turning this country around…or we will live to deeply regret it.
Commit to vote ~ it is your right!…while you still have it!
- Morris W. O’Kelly: Nouveau Black Republicans Are Killing Minority Outreach (huffingtonpost.com)
- Cantor said to be ally in efforts to fix Voting Rights Act. But how far is he really willing to go? (dailykos.com)
- Jan Schakowsky: The GOP’S Politics of Subtraction (huffingtonpost.com)
- Senator John Cornyn Argues That High Minority Turnout Is Reason To Support Photo Voter ID (burntorangereport.com)
- What’s the Matter With North Carolina? (slate.com)
- Attorney General Abbott is wrong on voting (star-telegram.com)
- Schakowsky: GOP Practices ‘Politics of Subtraction’ (thedemocraticstrategist.org)
- North Carolina Republicans slammed over ‘suppressive’ voting bill (guardian.co.uk)
- Voting Rights Act: a Last Defense Against Voter Suppression (benjamindavidsteele.wordpress.com)
- After Shelby, Voting-Law Changes Come One Town at a Time (pbs.org)
Tags: African American, Barack Obama, bill o reilly, Bill O'Reilly, fox news, Fox News Channel, martin case, Monday Night Football, O'Reilly, Obama, United States
“Bill O’Reilly opened his show Monday night by examining President Obama’s Friday afternoon speech on race and the Trayvon Martin case. O’Reilly began by saying Obama was “correct in addressing the race issue” but then proceeded to hammer the president for failing to address the “real” problems facing the African-American community.”*
Bill O’Reilly is pretty sure he understands “gangsta culture” and problems faced by black people. Except not at all. What did the Fox News blowhard say was to blame for violence and children being born out of wedlock? And why doesn’t he ever bother to double-check his statistics?
Tags: Alveda King, Civil and political rights, dr martin luther, dr martin luther king jr, fashion choices, George Zimmerman, Hoodie, King, Martin Luther King, martin luther king iii, Sagging (fashion), Trayvon Martin, United States, zimmerman case
Martin Luther King III, the son of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, refuted outspoken relative and conservative pundit Alveda King‘s recent statements regarding the viral image of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in a hoodie. The hoodie image was made as a statement in support of Trayvon Martin, who’s recent case has captured the headlines.
Alveda King, who views often put her at odds with not only the Dr. King’s family, but the foundation that bears his name, had gained the media spotlight by saying, “I can almost promise you Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. would not wear a hoodie,”.
Regardless of Dr. King’s fashion choices, Alveda King seemed to ignore the larger issue of how and why the image was created and gained such popularity in just 7 days, after the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman case verdict.
Tags: Barack Obama, Florida, Friday, George Zimmerman, Guilt (law), guilty verdict, national discussion, neighborhood watch, Obama, personal comments, Sociology of race and ethnic relations, Trayvon Martin, United States, www youtube
‘”When Trayvon Martin was first shot, I said that this could have been my son,’ President Obama told reporters Friday afternoon. ‘Another way of saying that is Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago.’
In extensive and personal comments concerning last Saturday’s not-guilty verdict for George Zimmerman, the Florida neighborhood watch volunteer who shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon in February 2012, the president said he wanted to add ‘context’ to what’s become an intense national discussion about the case and race relations.”*
Not So Fast George Zimmerman! You forgot about the Sexual Molestation allegations from your own Family!Posted: July 16, 2013 in Uncategorized
Tags: 10 months, Associated Press, defense motions, family member, Games, George Zimmerman, martin case, molestation, Murder, Murder Mystery, sanford florida, Trayvon Martin, Twitter, United States
Will statements revealed during the investigation of George Zimmerman ultimately land him in Court again or even possibly in jail? Now that George Zimmerman has been found “Not Guilty” with regards to the Trayvon Martin murder, most of us expect that the next cases he would be facing would be Civil or Federal. I wouldn’t bet on that. George Zimmerman may still face charges in Sanford Florida for the alleged decade long molestation of a family member. The Family member, who was also part of the Trayvon Martin case, was the subject of defense motions to suppress the allegations from coming to light. The allegations, which were made approximately 2 days after Trayvon Martin’s murder and long BEFORE the case entered the national spotlight, have bounced around for approximately 10 months and resurfaced over the weekend after Zimmerman was found “Not Guilty” in the murder Trayvon Martin. The Family members full audio statement is below.
Van Jones and Newt Gingrich co-hosting a new TV Show? WTF? It’s True, Welcome to CNN’s “Crossfire” 2.0Posted: June 27, 2013 in Uncategorized
Tags: Barack Obama, CNN, Crossfire, house speaker newt gingrich, Newt Gingrich, S. E. Cupp, speaker newt gingrich, Stephanie Cutter, United States, Van Jones
Just like We watch NASCAR for the wrecks and Hockey for the fights, so too will America have a strange fascination with CNN’s revival of the old “Crossfire” political debate show, but this time, I think they struck TV gold! The show has 4 co-hosts, 2 of which are Van Jones and Newt Gingrich. Names and political ideologies which immediately caught my attention as soon as I saw they were involved with the show.
CNN states …
Crossfire,” the long-running political debate show that aired on CNN from 1982-2005, is getting a reboot, the news network announced Wednesday. Four new hosts – two on the left, and two on the right – will debut the program this fall.
Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who made a bid for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination, will host on the right alongside S.E. Cupp, the conservative columnist who currently co-anchors “The Cycle,” a television program on MSNBC.
On the left, President Barack Obama’s former deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter will host next to Van Jones, another former Obama adviser who later founded Rebuild the Dream, a group that fosters innovative economic policy.
- ‘Crossfire’ will return to CNN, with Newt Gingrich as one of the hosts (oregonlive.com)
- TV: Newswire: CNN to resume hurting America by reviving Crossfire with Newt Gingrich (avclub.com)
- CNN To Bring Back Crossfire, Hosted By S.E. Cupp, Newt Gingrich, Van Jones, Stephanie Cutter (mediaite.com)
- Crossfire Returns (cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com)
- ‘Crossfire’ coming back to CNN (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- CNN announces ‘Crossfire’ relaunch (politico.com)
- CNN resurrects Crossfire with S.E. Cupp, Newt Gingrich, Van Jones, Stephanie Cutter (washingtontimes.com)
- Van Jones joins cast of re-booted ‘Crossfire’ on CNN (thegrio.com)
- CNN Revives ‘Crossfire’ With Newt Gingrich, S.E. Cupp, Stephanie Cutter And Van Jones (deadline.com)
- ‘Crossfire’ Is Returning to CNN, and the Best Part Is Definitely Newt Gingrich (theatlanticwire.com)
Tags: David Vitter, Financial institution, giant banks, Gross domestic product, Occupy Wall Street, Ohio, Politics, progressive democrat, sen david vitter, Sherrod Brown, Too big to fail, United States, Wall Street, zephyr teachout
“Multi-trillion dollar financial institutions continue to get richer, exerting more and more control over both America‘s economy and its political system. The top 20 largest banks’ assets are nearly equal to the nation’s gross domestic product.
Unlikely bipartisan duo Sherrod Brown and David Vitter are teaming up to break up the banks, but so-called “moderates” will likely try to stop them, painting them as extremists. Why?
- Bipartisan Consensus Formed: We Must Break Up the Giant Banks (sgtreport.com)
- Progressive Democrat and conservative Republican team up against ‘too big to fail’ banks (rawstory.com)
- Best sentences we read today (washingtonpost.com)
- Bipartisan Consensus Formed: We Must Break Up the Giant Banks (washingtonsblog.com)
- Zephyr Teachout: Banks, Food, and Telecom: Break Them Up (huffingtonpost.com)
- Wall Street’s Been So Obsessed With Elizabeth Warren It Missed The Real Threat In The Senate (businessinsider.com)
- Democratic Senator Renews Call To Break Up Banks That Are ‘Surely Still Too Big To Fail’ (thinkprogress.org)
- David Vitter wants to limit power of the Federal Reserve (revolutionpac.com)
- Government to study big banks (bankrate.com)
- Sherrod Brown, bank buster, goes after those ‘too big too fail’: George Will (oregonlive.com)
Tags: BobSchieffer, CBS, Face the Nation, Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, Republicans, United States
Well, we knew this day would come. Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan’s first interviews with 60 minutes. Like fingernails on a chalkboard.
- Romney, Ryan together on “60 Minutes” tonight (riehlworldview.com)
- Romney, Paul Ryan To Appear For First Joint Interview On 60 Minutes Tonight (mediaite.com)
- Romney, Ryan to be on ’60 Minutes’ tonight (content.usatoday.com)
- #RomneyRyan2012 on ’60 Minutes’: Highlights and reviews (twitchy.com)
- Romney defends Ryan, says Obama ‘robbed’ Medicare to fund health reform (thehill.com)
- ’60 Minutes’ lands Romney/Ryan (politico.com)
- Romney, Ryan together on “60 Minutes” tonight (krem.com)
- After Ryan, Romney cancels TV interviews (politico.com)
Tags: Bain, Bain Capital, Boston Globe, Mitt Romney, President of the United States, Romney, SEC filing, United States
Mitt Romney has lied his way through the Presidential campaign – and he just can’t seem to stop. What’s he accused of lying about now – and can this modern day Pinocchio really be America‘s next President? As financial documents filed in 2003 – and obtained by the Boston Globe – show – Romney still owned 100% of Bain Capital as recently as 2002 – and even earned at least $100,000 as an executive at Bain in 2002 – three year after Romney claims he had left the business. So now we can add lying about his tenure at Bain to the long list of other Romney lies, just as voters are demanding the truth about Romney’s several offshore bank accounts and how he’s using them to avoid paying taxes.
- BOSTON GLOBE: Mitt Romney Left Bain Capital Three Years After He Said He Did (businessinsider.com)
- In Primary Debate, Romney Suggested He Was At Bain Until 2002 (buzzfeed.com)
- Obama campaign accuses Romney of lying about Bain tenure (nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com)
- The Boston Globe Refuses to Run Correction on Mitt Romney Bain Capital Story (UPDATED) (themoderatevoice.com)
- Sorry, Mitt Romney, You Can’t Be Chairman, CEO, And President Of A Company And Not Be Responsible For What It Does… (businessinsider.com)
- The Bain Of This Campaign, Ctd (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- Boston Globe repackages its 2002 Romney Bain CEO story as breaking news (legalinsurrection.com)
- THIS JUST IN… Boston Globe refuses Romney demand to “correct” Bain story (americablog.com)
- Mario Piperni on Bain and Truthiness (seniorsforademocraticsociety.wordpress.com)
- Romney Discrepancies Over When He Left Bain Capital Could Constitute a Felony (news.firedoglake.com)
- Why Romney’s Quit Date at Bain Matters (theatlanticwire.com)
- Romney: You Lie! Report: No, YOU Lie! (nymag.com)
- Romney may have committed felony lying about role with Bain (americablog.com)
- Romney May Have Committed Felony Lying about Role with Bain (economicpolicyjournal.com)