Well We all knew it would be just a matter of time before Rick Santorum‘s “Inner Cracker” would surface…. but to be fair, you can tell when he said it… he knew he had just fucked up! lol
CBS News reports…..
While campaigning in Sioux City, Iowa Sunday, GOP presidential hopeful Rick Santorum said if elected he plans to cut regulations and entitlements and he doesn’t want to “make black people‘s lives better by giving them somebody else’s money.”
UPDATE Jan 2, 2012 18:00
David Badash of the New Civil Rights Movement writes……..
According to government statistics, 35% of adults on welfare (TANF) are white, 34% are black, and 24% are Hispanic.
So, does Santorum only want to help whites, or is he just rolling around in stereotypical assumptions — albeit false ones — about welfare recipients? Santorum then went on to extol the “trickle-down” virtues of Reaganomics, which have been proven to be false.
Stephen Webster at The Raw Story notes:
Speaking to Republicans in Iowa on Monday, former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA) said his administration would reform welfare to the point that it would offer no welfare at all.
After suggesting that an expansion of Medicare is really just a plot to make voters more “dependent” on Washington, Santorum added: ”I don’t want to make black people’s lives better by giving them other people’s money.”
“I want to give them the opportunity to go out and earn their money and provide for themselves and their families,” he added. “The best way to do that is to get the manufacturing sector of the economy rolling.”
According to the University of Michigan’s National Poverty Center, 27.4 percent of blacks and 26.6 percent of Hispanics were living in poverty in 2010, compared to 9.9 percent of whites. Unemployment statistics between the racial demographics are similarly skewed.
Despite the factually flawed nature of Santorum’s pitch on Monday, the underlying logic of his pitch is abundantly clear: census data shows that over 91 percent of Iowans are white, a community Santorum must desperately appeal to if he wants a win in Tuesday’s caucuses.
- Santorum urges activists to send a message (sfgate.com)
- Rick Santorum Implies Obama Should Be Pro-Life Because He’s Black (huffingtonpost.com)
- Jon-Christopher Bua: The Iowa Test: State of Play (huffingtonpost.co.uk)
- Santorum urges activists to send a message (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Rupert Murdoch Hearts Rick Santorum (towleroad.com)
- Santorum events jammed as candidate rises in polls (sfgate.com)
- Late-Breaking and Game-Changing: Rick Santorum Is Red Hot in Iowa (swampland.time.com)
- Rick Santorum In 5 Words Or Less (buzzfeed.com)
- Santorum Surges With Low-Dollar Model (businessweek.com)
- The Republican Race In Iowa Just Got Extremely Tight (businessinsider.com)
- Santorum Pushes Supporters to Keep His Surge Alive (thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Santorum Gives Closing Argument, Defends ‘Warts’ and Dings Perry (abcnews.go.com)
- You: Republican candidates set stage for final push in Iowa (latimes.com)
- Rick Santorum Says He’s Ready To Bomb Iran (inquisitr.com)